TripAdvisor is the world’s largest travel site, with more than 260 million unique monthly visitors and over 150 million reviews and opinions covering 3.7 million accommodations, restaurants and attractions. The sites operate in 37 countries worldwide. TripAdvisor also includes TripAdvisor for Business, a dedicated division that provides the tourism industry access to millions of monthly TripAdvisor visitors.
In 2010 TripAdvisor for Business established an online content portal to share TripAdvisor best practices, marketing tips, and reputation management advice. They hosted this in WordPress and maintained 7 different language versions for several years. However, when the need to expand to all 21 TripAdvisor languages arose, it became clear that the team needed a more robust content management system that could meet the following requirements:
- Deeper integration with TripAdvisor internal resources and functionality.
- Search functionality to allow users to easily sort extensive content.
- Flexible, easy and powerful tools for content creators.
- Improved handling of content across different languages and markets.
Working with TripAdvisor for Business marketing, product, and engineering teams, Bluespark developed TripAdvisor Insights on the Drupal 7 content management framework, migrated the existing content from the 7 different language WordPress sites into a single instance, leveraging the new technology stack to provide a vastly improved platform including:
- Reliable, scalable Drupal infrastructure that integrates into the wider TripAdvisor infrastructure.
- Integrated language negotiation for seamless deployment across 21 languages, including streamlined automated language translations process for articles via an API between Drupal and TripAdvisor’s localization vendor.
- Faceted and keyword-based search that is language aware for organizing content by category and tag.
- An easy to use, powerful and flexible page layout engine that adapts to content needs and is customizable directly by content creators through a graphical interface.
- An option to create highly customized and branded PDF material on the fly, allowing content creators to write content once and use across a variety of platforms, including print distribution.
The platform was launched in August 2013 and it successfully serves as the central hub for a range of marketing efforts within the TripAdvisor for Business division. New content is published daily in 21 languages. The Bluespark and TripAdvisor teams are now focused on creating topic landing pages to better surface popular content, and increasing overall analytics and metrics capabilities. In 2016, Bluespark and TripAdvisor launched a newly designed site.